Happy Earth Day! Taking care of our planet is so important! There are so many things we can do to make positive changes in our physical environment! Unfortunately, pollution has a significant impact on the earth and causes a lot of harm to many animals and other organisms.
The Negative Impact of Pollution
Not-So-Fun Facts About Pollution
- About 40% of lakes in America are too polluted for aquatic life, fishing, or swimming.
- Pollution kills over 1 million seabirds and 100 million mammals annually.
- People aren’t recycling as much as they should, as a result the rainforests are be cut down by approximately 100 acres per minute.
Here is an interesting video about “The Great Pacific Garbage Patch” a patch of plastic debris and other trash in between California and Hawaii, that has accumulated over decades of neglect.
How We Can Take Care of Our Planet
As dire as the effects of pollution are, we as individuals can still take steps to help our environment and prevent pollution.
Little things you can do to produce less waste and take care of the planet
- Store food in reusable containers and jars.
- Bring your own reusable bags and produce bags to the grocery store.
- Carry your own water bottle instead of using plastic bottles.
- Pick up trash or plastic if you see it around, especially if you’re at the beach!
- Go to a beach-clean up, a park-clean up, or anywhere in your community that has a lot of pollution.
- Don’t use straws, but if you have to, use a reusable one.
- Use a razor with replaceable blades instead of disposable ones.
- Don’t use plasticware if you can.
As little as switching out a plastic bottle for a reusable container may be, it still has an impact. And yes, one person not using plastic material won’t instantly stop all the widespread effects of pollution. However, everything we can do to help our environment is needed. Every small action toward positive change has an impact.
Thank you for reading this post. Please follow my blog to receive email updates whenever I post.
How was your Earth Day? What are you going to do to care for our earth? Let me know in the comments section.
Keep On Booking,
☆ Katie K ☆